Possible trial: an unexpected turn with the Usyk-Fury fight
Nisse Sauerland, the promoter of Croatian heavyweight Filip Hrgovic, said he is considering the possibility of canceling Usyk's fight with Fury in court and scheduling a fight between the Ukrainian and his client. The 31-year-old native of Zagreb is a mandatory contender for Usyk's belt according to the International Boxing Federation (IBF).
"We are consulting on the legal process because we were just waiting for the mandatory title defense after the fight with Zhang last August. We were practically forced to fight Demsey McKean to keep our ranking and maintain our position as a mandatory challenger. I understand that everyone wants to see this fight [Fury-Usyk]," Boxing-Social quoted Sauerland as saying.
The promoter believes that Filip has every right to demand his championship fight.
"No matter what anyone says about Hrgovic - 'he doesn't deserve it' - he has this status. Do you want to make the guy wait for a year and a half again? He's losing his earnings at the peak of his career, it's just immoral," Sauerland said.
As OBOZREVATEL previously reported, on September 29, WBA, WBO, IBF champion Oleksandr Usyk (21-0, 14 KOs) and WBC belt holder Tyson Fury (33-0-1, 24 KOs) signed a contract for a fight for the title of absolute world champion. The media found out that the fight will take place before the New Year or in January.
Legendary Mike Tyson voiced his forecast for the superfight of the year. Iron Mike thinks that Fury will beat Usyk as well.
Fury's promoter Bob Arum said that his fighter will receive a 9-figure sum for the fight with the Ukrainian.
Earlier, Fury made a radically new statement about the fight with Usyk. Prior to that, insider Mike Coppinger said that the promoters were optimistic about the chances of organizing a fight between the Ukrainian and the Briton.
In addition, Fury called Usyk a fraud after his victory over Dubois. The Gypsy King also ridiculed the Ukrainian, who "rolled around the ring" after being hit in the fifth round of the fight on August 26.