"How can he do that?": Lomachenko's promoter on the end of the Ukrainian's career
Former world champion in three weight categories Vasyl Lomachenko (17-3, 11 KOs) has no intention of ending his career, as the World Boxing Organization (WBO) has stated. The 35-year-old native of Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi expects to return to the ring next year, and all the talk about his decision to stop fighting looks frankly ridiculous.
This was stated by the Ukrainian boxer's promoter Bob Arum in an interview with the popular LuckyPunch.net project. The head of Top Rank was surprised by the talk of Lomachenko ending his career as there hasn't been a single fight that would have questioned Vasyl's high level.
"No, Lomachenko is not ending his career. How can a guy who can't be shaken by anyone end his career? It's not like he's making the best nights in every fight. For me, Lomachenko is the best boxer in the world. Not only in the lightweight division but as a terrific heavyweight as well," Arum said.
On May 21, 2023, Lomachenko lost to Devin Haney (30-0, 15 KOs) by unanimous decision, provoking a lot of controversy among fans and experts. The unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk (20-0, 13 KOs) called it a robbery.
American boxer and trainer Russ Anber said that he watched the fight between Vasyl and Devin three times and gave the victory to Lomachenko each time. The WBO stripped the Ukrainian of the first place in its rankings. At the same time, the World Boxing Council (WBC) unexpectedly awarded Lomachenko the championship fight.
Meanwhile, Haney was mocked on Twitter after he announced his support for Ukraine and his intention to donate to our country. In addition, the American suddenly started talking about a rematch with Lomachenko.
As OBOZ.UA previously reported, promoter Bob Arum shared his plans for Vasyl Lomachenko's career, noting that the Ukrainian boxer intends to regain his championship belts.