Occupants hit an oil depot in Kharkiv with Shaheds: 15 houses burned down, children died. Photos
On the evening of Friday, February 9, Russian troops attacked Kharkiv and the region with Shahed kamikaze drones. Civilian infrastructure came under attack. In the regional center, the Russians hit an oil depot, a massive fire broke out, and at least 15 private houses burned down.
The attacks resulted in casualties, and seven people were reported dead, including three children, the youngest of whom was only seven months old. Another 57 people were injured. The head of the Kharkiv regional military administration, Oleg Synegubov, spoke about the consequences of the attack.
The invaders started attacking the regional center with "Shaheds" at 22:46. A hit was recorded in the Nemyshlyansky district of the city.
"Five people were killed in Kharkiv as a result of the attack by enemy drones. The victims are being identified, among them two children," Synegubov wrote on the morning of February 10.
But a few minutes later, Synegubov clarified that the number of victims had increased.
"Unfortunately, the death toll from the occupiers' strikes on Kharkiv has risen to seven. Among them are three children: 7, 4 years old and a baby about 6 months old," wrote the head of the Kharkiv Regional Military Administration.
Ukraine's Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko said that rescuers found the bodies of five victims, including three children, in a private house, and two more bodies were found at another facility.
"The total number of victims as of now is 7 dead and 3 wounded. Investigators and forensic experts are working to document Russia's war crime and take DNA samples to identify the bodies," he said at 07:43.
Klymenko added that several large-scale fires broke out in Kharkiv as a result of enemy drone attacks on civilian infrastructure. One of them is in a residential area.
"The State Emergency Service managed to localize the fire in a residential area, saving 25 houses from spreading. However, more than a dozen households burned to the ground," the minister said.
The Office of the Prosecutor General of Ukraine announced the launch of a pre-trial investigation into the violation of the laws and customs of war combined with premeditated murder (Part 2 of Article 438 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
"In one of the private households, the charred bodies of a family were found: a husband, wife and their three children: boys aged 7 months, 4 and 7 years. In another house, a couple was killed: a 66-year-old man and his 65-year-old wife. Three people were also injured: A 45-year-old man and two women aged 61 and 39," the Office of the General Prosecutor of Ukraine said, adding that the invaders, according to preliminary data, launched the drones from Belgorod region.
The fire was caused by a fuel leak after the drone hit an oil depot, after which the hazardous substance flowed down the street in a residential area.
The body of the father of the three children killed by Russia was found in the corridor of the house, while the mother and children tried to escape in the bathroom.
"The search for the body of the youngest boy is ongoing," noted Synegubov.
As of 10:30 a.m., rescuers and law enforcement officers continued to eliminate the consequences of the enemy attack at the site of the hits.
"The debris is being dismantled and the bodies of the dead are being unblocked," noted Synegubov
As of 13:30, the head of the Kharkiv police investigation department, Serhiy Bolvinov, said that the bodies of all seven victims had been found. According to him, the eldest child in the deceased family, Lesha, was seven years old, the middle child, Mykhailo, was four years old, and the youngest, Pavel, was ten months old.
"During the alarms, parents and children used to hide in the basement . But this time, flames burst into the yard. When the family ran to hide, two cars and fuel were already burning near the house. All seven were trapped in the fire. It has been preliminarily established that the older and younger boys were with their mother . The middle one, Mykhailo, always ran after his father. The man probably lost consciousness first, and the little one hid in a corner, alone in the kitchen. That's where we found him. The mother and her two other sons tried to escape in the bathroom, holding the children in their arms," he said.
Bolvinov added that the bodies of the victims were badly burned and DNA testing would be needed to make final conclusions.
Kharkiv Mayor Ihor Terekhov said as of 2 p.m. that the number of victims of the night attack had reached 57 .
"These people are residents of Kotelnaya Street who were left without anything last night by Russia: no home, no documents, no money, no personal belongings. To provide them with everything they need, a humanitarian aid collection and distribution center has been operating at school No. 21 since this morning. There is a need for building materials, clothes and personal hygiene products," said Terekhov.
According to the head of the Kharkiv Regional Military Administration, the invaders sent at least ten attack drones to the region. Eight of them were shot down by air defense forces, while the rest caused destruction, in particular, destroyed an oil depot, causing fuel leakage.
"Currently, one tank is still full, so the danger remains. If necessary, we will expand the evacuation and resettlement zone. All relevant services continue to work. We have already evacuated 50 people. Four people have been rescued, including one child. In total, 36 units of the State Emergency Service - more than 200 rescuers - are involved in eliminating the consequences of the shelling," Syniehubov said about the situation as of 11:30 a.m.
Mayor Ihor Terekhov was the first to report an enemy attack on Kharkiv the night before. He wrote about explosions in the city on his Telegram channel at about 10:40 p.m.
The Air Force of the Armed Forces of Ukraine had previously warned about the movement of enemy "Shahed" to the regional center.
"Kharkiv is under enemy attack. There are a series of explosions in the city. "Shaheds". Civilian infrastructure is under attack," Terekhov wrote.
Later, Terekhov said that the Russians hit a gas station with Shaheds. As a result of the hit, fuel spilled and 14 private houses caught fire. The area of the fire is 3700 square meters.
"50 Kharkiv residents have been evacuated, including two children. The State Emergency Service continues to fight the fire and search for possible victims," the mayor said.
Footage showing the fire after arrivals in Kharkiv was posted online.
As a result of the Russian attack, one person suffered 40% burns to his body and is in hospital. Four people were rescued, 50 evacuated. The number of victims may increase, said the head of the regional prosecutor's office, Oleksandr Filchakov.
According to him, at least 15 houses were burned down.
"The Russian military, previously from the territory of Belgorod region, launched Shahed UAVs. Three drones hit the Nemyshlyansky district of Kharkiv. As a result, a critical infrastructure facility was destroyed. There was a large amount of fuel there, which is why the consequences of the fire are so terrible," Filchakov said.
Oleh Oleg Synegubov's Telegram channel, the head of the Kharkiv Regional Military Administration, also noted that the village of Velykyi Burluk also came under enemy fire. According to preliminary information, there are no casualties. The occupants hit a civilian object - a cafe.
"As a result of the strikes, fires broke out and the buildings of a cafe and a medical facility were destroyed. The total area of the fire was 180 square meters. At 01:45, the State Emergency Service extinguished the last fire. According to preliminary data, there were no casualties," the State Emergency Service stated on the morning of February 10.
According to Synegubov, the attack on Velykyi Burluk, Kupyansk district, was carried out at 23:20.
"A cafe was destroyed by drone strikes. The premises on the first and second floors were on fire. There were no casualties. The building of an inactive medical institution was also damaged. The buildings of the morgue and the surgical department were on fire," said the head of the Kharkiv Regional Military Administration.