Surgical removal of moles: in which cases it is indicated and how the procedure is performed
With the development of new technologies, such outdated and sometimes dangerous methods of mole removal as nitrogen and electrocoagulant are becoming a thing of the past: some public institutions still use them occasionally, but high-level clinics have long since switched to advanced methods.
A modern and safe method of removal is a fractional laser, where the doctor can set the exact parameters of removal, such as power, heating, and depth. That is why I use the laser method of removal.
But sometimes patients come to the office who are not suitable for laser, they are indicated for surgical removal. Today we'll talk about when surgical removal of skin tumors is indicated and how the procedure is performed.
Indications for surgical removal
- large size of the mole (more than 1 cm)
- the need to conduct a histological examination of the tissues (to send the mole to the laboratory to establish a final diagnosis)
- high risk of scarring after laser removal (this can be determined by the doctor based on the results of examination and digital dermatoscopy).
How the surgical removal is performed
1. An anesthesia test is performed and a drug is selected to which the patient has no allergic reactions.
2. A rapid test for infections is performed (this is necessary for the appointment of postoperative therapy).
3. The mole is removed under injection anesthesia.
4. A cosmetic suture is applied from the best biocompatible suture material used in plastic surgery.
5. After the suture is applied and the wound is treated, the patient is discharged home with prescriptions.
6. The sutures are removed 7-14 days after surgery.
It is important to note that the method of removal (laser or surgical) is chosen by the doctor solely on the basis of indications, and not on the patient's own or voluntary will. In order to avoid undesirable consequences, as well as to remove skin tumors qualitatively and safely, you should trust only an experienced specialist who has high-quality certified equipment.
Be healthy, beautiful and happy!