They extract 6 teeth and have 720 languages: peculiarities of life in Indonesia that foreigners do not know about
The distant and unexplored Indonesia has always aroused the interest of tourists. The island nation has still preserved ancient traditions, but it is also developing rapidly and introducing innovations into people's lives. What surprises foreigners in this country is in the OBOZREVATEL selection.
1. It seems that Indonesia is a small country in Asia. However, it occupies more than 17,500 islands. At the same time, the country is ranked 4th in the world in terms of population.
2. Indonesians speak about 720 languages. Only one of them has the status of an official language, but not all locals know it.
3. The most popular clothing in the country is sarong. It is usually made of large pieces of fabric that are wrapped around the body. Light colors such as white, purple, and green are chosen for everyday use. On holidays, they wear red, yellow, and blue sarongs with bright embroidery.
4. Indonesians love rice dishes. The most popular local delicacy, nasi goreng, is made from fried rice grains and chicken. Everything is sprinkled with fresh chili peppers and hot spices.
5. The locals are much more sympathetic to tourists who know at least a few simple phrases in Bahasa. It is not difficult to learn them. This can give you additional discounts and favor with the Indonesians.
6. Traffic jams are a common thing in a country where almost no one follows traffic rules. That's why a new service is gaining popularity here - motorcycle taxis. There are even apps for ordering this type of transportation.
7. Drunk driving is officially allowed in the country. But riding a moped without a helmet is prohibited. You can get a fine for this.
8. Indonesia is not among the poorest countries in the world. However, the average salary of ordinary workers here is $2. That's why tourists think that vacationing in this country is very cheap.
9. Indonesians are active users of social media. Everyone from children to the elderly post their lives on Twitter. In total, more than 71 million locals use the Internet.
10. Young girls aged 12 to 16 are practically isolated from the world. They have the right to go only to specialized schools, communicate with a small circle of people, and cannot do anything without parental supervision. This is one of the oldest traditions that is still followed.
11. It would seem that with such an attitude towards girls, there should be problems with the gender issue. But this country has one of the highest rates of women's involvement in leadership positions.
12. Residents of Bali, one of the most popular islands in Indonesia, often remove 6 teeth. It is believed that they symbolize human sins. Therefore, those who pull them out will never leave the right path.
13. Indonesians are very religious people. They give their children at least four names, and at least one of them is hidden from everyone they know. This is done to protect the child from dark forces.
14. In this country, you can see children with cigarettes right on the streets. Most likely, no one will even notice them, because this issue is not regulated at the legislative level.
15. However, the country is actively fighting against alcohol. Many tourist islands have banned the sale of strong drinks.