A refugee from Ukraine may represent Sweden at the Eurovision Song Contest 2024: what is known about Maria Sur, who participated in The Voice Ukraine
A native of Zaporizhzhia, singer Maria Sur made it to the final of Melodifestivalen, the Swedish National Selection for Eurovision 2024. This is the second time she has tried her luck. Last year, the singer took 9th place and represented her country with Loreen.
Maria Sur with her song "When I'm Gone" won the first semi-final of the festival this year, receiving 94 out of 96 points, and automatically reached the final. Last year, she performed a ballad about the importance of dreams. This year, the singer chose a different direction: dance-pop. Maria Sur started her musical career in the 12th season of The Voice Ukraine. OBOZ.UA has collected information about the singer and will tell you what is known about her.
- As we have already mentioned, the singer participated in The Voice Ukraine, so she is already known to Ukrainians. She was part of the team of Nadya Dorofeeva and later Olya Polyakova. Sur left the project shortly before the final.
- With the beginning of the full-scale Russian invasion, the singer moved from Zaporizhzhia to Sweden with her mother. Part of her family remained in Ukraine, including her father. Later, the star met singer Sarah Dawn Finer. Thanks to their acquaintance, Sur performed at a charity concert in solidarity with Ukraine at the Avicii Arena in Stockholm, where she performed Destiny's Child's song "Survivor."
- Since the fall of 2023, she has been studying Swedish at SFI (Swedish for Foreigners) while studying music at Kyiv University remotely, she told SVT.
- In the same interview, the singer said that she was happy to be accepted as a Swede and plans to build her career in this country in the future.
"I am very happy that Sweden is giving me these opportunities. I have been supported here as a Swede and I have received a lot of love, and that makes me really happy. I started building my career here in Sweden. Now is not the best time to do it [to develop a career in Ukraine]," she explained.
- It is not yet known whether Maria Sur will represent Sweden at the Eurovision Song Contest 2024. The fate of her performance will be decided at the Melodifestivalen final on March 9 in Stockholm. "We did it! You have done it! I am so grateful for your support and love for me. "When I'm Gone" has made it to the final," she wrote about her progress to the final on Instagram.
As a sign of her small victory, the singer appeared in a photo with a Ukrainian flag, probably proud of her Ukrainian roots.