Grandma's Easter cake, more than 100 years old: How they used to decorate holiday baked goods
Since ancient times, the preparation of the Easter cake has been treated with special reverence. While the dough was being kneaded, it was forbidden to speak loudly, especially to quarrel. The hostess kneaded the dough with her hands. The decorations were made of unleavened dough, not icing. Recipes were handed down from generation to generation, from grandmother to daughter. And such a passover is undoubtedly the most delicious
The ancient recipe of grandmother's Easter cake was shared by a famous Ukrainian confectioner Liza Glinskaya(lizaglinskaya) on her Instagram page. One of the star's followers told about this method of preparation. It is more than 100 years old.
Ingredients for sourdough:
- 300 ml milk (1.2 cups)
- 50 g fresh yeast (1/2 package)
- 50 g sugar (2 tablespoons heaped)
- 200 grams of flour (1.25 cup)
- 150 g eggs (3 pcs.)
- 40 g egg yolks (2 eggs)
- 130 g butter (0.7 pack)
- 30 ml vegetable oil (1.5 tbsp.)
- 120g sugar (6 tbsp.)
- 20 ml vodka (1 tbsp)
- 3 g salt (pinch)
- 700 grams of flour (4.4 glasses)
- 200g raisins (1.25 cup)
Method of preparation:
1. The milk should be at room temperature or slightly warm. It should be poured into a bowl.
2. Pour in the sugar and fresh pressed yeast. Stir well until the yeast dissolves.
3. Sift the flour, mix the mass well.
4. Cover the sourdough with foil.
5. Put in a warm place without drafts for one hour.
6. Put the eggs in a bowl, pour the sugar. Mix well.
7. Pour the vodka, add the lemon zest.
8. Add salt to the flour.
9. Combine the butter and vegetable oil in one bowl.
10. In a large bowl for kneading the dough sift the flour.
11. In the center we make a recess.
12. Add the cooked sourdough and the eggs and sugar.
13. Knead the dough with your hands first in a bowl and then on the table. Also beat it well for 10 minutes.
14. Take a bowl or container. Grease the container with oil. Transfer the dough there. Cover the top with a towel or a lid.
15. Leave the dough in a warm, draught-free place for two hours.
16. After two hours, place the dough on a greased surface. Also grease your hands.
17. Place the raisins on the dough.
18. Wrap the dough and divide it into 5 equal parts.
19. Roll each piece by hand so that the top is smooth.
20. Place in paper forms.
21. Leave the dough in the molds in a warm, draught-free place for one hour.
22. Dissolve the yolk in a teaspoon of milk.
23. Spread this mixture on the pastries.
24. Lay out the leaves from the dough first, and then the roses.
25. On top, grease again with the egg yolk.
26. Bake the pastries at 165 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Check the readiness with a skewer.
Dough for decorating:
- 100ml water.
- 200-250 grams of flour
- 5ml. vegetable oil
- 1 g. salt
- 2g. sugar
Method of preparation:
1. Add the vegetable oil, salt and sugar to the water.
2. Stir well.
3. Add the flour.
4. Knead into a stiff dough.
5. Place on table.
6. Mix well for 10 minutes.
7. Cut off half.
8. Roll out the dough, folding it 4 times each time.
9. Cut out circles.
10. Twist roses on toothpicks. Cut out leaves from the dough.
Also on OBOZREVATEL you can read the recipes: