Ukraine's Foreign Ministry assessed the US decision on a temporary budget without assistance to Kyiv: Nikolenko explains what to expect
The adoption of a temporary budget in the United States, which does not include funds for Ukraine, will not stop the flow of aid that was announced earlier. Kyiv is now working with Washington to discuss further steps.
As noted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, the US government's "shutdown" could have a negative impact on the implementation of current programs for Kyiv. This was stated on October 1 by Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleh Nikolenko on Facebook.
He said that the United States had previously allocated about $1.6 billion for defense and $1.23 billion in direct budget support, as well as funds for humanitarian and energy projects. The previously announced aid to Ukraine will not be stopped.
"Now the Ukrainian government is actively working with American partners to ensure that the new US budget decision, which will be developed over the next 45 days, includes new funds to help Ukraine," Nikolenko wrote.
He added that domestic political discussions related to the American political process continue in the United States. However, the diplomat assured that the administration, both parties and the US Congress chambers remain supportive of our country.
As reported by OBOZREVATEL:
- US President Joe Biden signed a temporary bill that prevented the shutdown of the US government. This happened a few hours before the funding for federal agencies was to run out.
- Famous historian Timothy Snyder reacted to the latest developments. He said that cutting off aid to Ukraine "makes America untrustworthy, weakens the cause of democracy, threatens the international legal order, and encourages tyrants around the world."