Which dogs overheat quickly and can't control their temperature: a list
Dogs don't tolerate heat very well. Weakness, lethargy, passivity, hot nose, heavy breathing, lack of appetite: all these sign can tell you that your pet has overheated in the sun.
Online, U.S. resident Breana ( @caninebynature ) shared which breeds of dogs are most susceptible to heatstroke. They should be taken out for a walk early in the morning or late in the evening, because being outside during peak heat hours (11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) can lead to severe consequences.
Which dogs are most affected by the heat?
Breana has identified seven dog breeds that have the highest risk of getting sunstroke:
- French Bulldog;
- Chow Chow;
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
All dogs can overheat, but the above listed breeds have a low capacity for heat regulation.
The video caught the attention of many viewers who shared their observations. German Shepherds, Collies, Newfoundlands, Huskies and other breeds with double thick undercoats were added to the list.
How to help your dog survive the heat
- Your dog should always have easy access to drinking water. It should also be taken on walks.
- Wet his head, ears, nose, forehead and pads with cool water periodically. Alternatively try a spray bottle.
- Adjust the diet by limiting fatty foods. Prefer wet food to dry food.
- Make a cool place at home for the pet. You can lay a damp towel.
- Don't forget to take care of his coat and brush him regularly. If you cut the pet's hair in summer, don't do it too short. In fact, the coat may help protect the skin in the heat, whule the exposed, sensitive skin is highly likely to get sunburns.
- Dogs can get burns by walking on surfaces that are too hot. Be careful where you choose to walk.
- Do not leave dogs in the car, as the temperature in the cabin rises very quickly. Such negligence can have dire consequences.
By the way, the specific smell of dogs is triggered by the microbiome of bacteria and fungi that live and multiply in the thick undercoat. To learn how to bathe your dog correctly to minimize the characteristic odor, read the article.
In the past OBOZREVATEL wrote about how much water dogs and cats should drink per day.