Check your garden: what poisonous plants can appear in any yard

Alina MilsentLife
Aconite, fern and English ivy

Summer is in full swing - gardens are drowning in bloom and a riot of herbs. But beware: poisonous plants can suddenly invade the yard, especially endangering children and pets.

Writer and plant expert Jeff Dunn has compiled a list of poisonous plants that are easily confused with edible species. Some are dangerous if ingested, others can be deadly if touched. The Daily Mail recounted the most poisonous types of flowers and herbs.

Giant hogweed

Giant hogweed can grow up to three meters tall. It has thick and bristly stems (often purple in color), and the flowers at the very top are white and bunched up. The juice of the giant hogweed is phototoxic. When a person touches the sap and is exposed to sunlight, they can get phytophotodermatitis, an inflammatory reaction characterized by huge blisters and scars.



All parts of the aconite (Aconitum napellus) are very poisonous, including even the pretty blue or purple flowers.

In severe cases, poisoning causes cardiac arrhythmias, heart paralysis and breathing problems. The most common symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, dizziness and diarrhea. Even accidental contact with the plant can cause breathing and heart problems.

"It is the most dangerous poisonous plant; all parts are toxic, especially the roots. Aconite is often confused with edible plant species, including horseradish and topinambur. This is what leads to many fatalities," Dann stressed.



The common fern (Pteridium aquilinum) grows mainly in forests. The fern produces hydrogen cyanide when its leaves are damaged. Studies have shown that the plant also contains carcinogens which, if ingested, can cause cancer of the esophagus and stomach.



One of the most well-known and common plants that can cause pain and rashes is the double-headed nettle (Urtica dioica). If you touch the leaves, the hairs inject chemicals into your skin, causing severe pain, itching, redness, small blisters and numbness. Although chemists have not yet identified every compound in the plant's venom, they believe the pain is related to the injection of histamine, acetylcholine and serotonin into the body.


English Ivy

English ivy, also known as Hedera helix, grows on walls and tree trunks. Touching English ivy can cause swelling and shortness of breath, while contact with its sap will cause dermatitis, itching and skin rashes.



Laburnum anagyroides is a small but attractive tree that blooms in May and June. According to the Wildlife Trust, all parts of Laburnum are extremely poisonous.

If ingested, they can cause nausea and vomiting, and in large doses can be fatal.


Black henbane

The black henbane (Hyoscyamus niger), known as the "witch plant," has hairy leaves and white flowers that are crossed by exquisite black veins.

All parts of the plant are considered very toxic and cause skin irritation. Consumption of henna can lead to death.


Previously OBOZREVATEL told about the most important rules of mowing the lawn.

Subscribe to OBOZREVATEL channels in Telegram and Viber to keep up with the latest developments.

Other News

Something super-powerful is bending the disk of our Milky Way galaxy: scientists have a guess what it could be

Something super-powerful is bending the disk of our Milky Way galaxy: scientists have a guess what it could be

Only in the last century did humanity learn that the Milky Way is just one galaxy among billions, not the entire Universe
'To prove that Russia and Ukraine are together': Harlan accused the international federation of founding

"To prove that Russia and Ukraine are together": Harlan accused the international federation of founding

Olga refused to shake hands with Russian at 2023 World Cup