"We'll definitely see": promoter answers questions about Lomachenko's career ending after defeat by Haney
Former world champion in three weight categories Vasyl Lomachenko (17-3, 11 KOs) is not going to end his career after his fight against Devin Haney (30-0, 15 KOs). Our compatriot will return to the ring as soon as possible and will fight big fights.
This was stated in an interview with Boxing Social YouTube channel by the Ukrainian boxer's promoter Bob Arum. The head of Top Rank, which has been managing Vasyl's affairs throughout his professional career, also added that he did not see Haney's victory over Lomachenko in the fight on May 20.
"We will definitely see Lomachenko in action again. We have been working with him since his first fight. Not only do I admire him as a boxer, but we have also become friends with him and his father. They are very nice people. Loma is far from finished with his career. I think most people saw that he beat Haney. But, in the end, only the judges' notes matter. And they gave the win to Haney. Did I see Haney win? No, I didn't see it," Arum said.
The lightweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena between Haney and Lomachenko lasted all 12 rounds and ended with a unanimous decision of 116-112, 115-113, 115-113 in favour of the American. It is worth noting that the judges' notes, which were published after the fight, caused fierce debate among experts and fans.
Russian boxer Sergey Kovalev said that fans were swearing at the judges as they left the hall after Haney's victory. In addition, the fight's punch statistics confirm that the Ukrainian won at least five rounds. In Russia, one of the journalists called Lomachenko's boxing in the fight a disgrace.
The day before, it became known that Vasyl Lomachenko was suspended from boxing after the fight. Devin Haney himself hurled insults at the Ukrainian boxer.
The team of our compatriot demanded that international organisations announce a mandatory rematch. For his part, Lomachenko expressed confidence that it would be difficult for him to fight for the title of absolute world champion again.
As OBOZREVATEL previously reported, American trainer Teofimo Lopez Sr. called the result of the Lomachenko-Haney fight a disgrace to boxing. He also compared the fight's judges to Russian dictator Vladimir Putin.
Only verified information is available in our Obozrevatel Telegram channel and Viber. Do not fall for fakes!