"It will get in the way": WBC issues statement on Usyk-Fury fight
The World Boxing Council (WBC) insists that the organization's belt holder Tyson Fury (33-0-1, 24 KOs) should fight Oleksandr Usyk (21-0, 14 KOs). The Gypsy King, as the Manchester native is called, will not be assigned a mandatory defense for now.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said this in an interview with Boxing Social, Boxing News 24 reports. He noted that he is looking forward to the fight between the Ukrainian and the British for the title of absolute world heavyweight champion, and also noted that other boxers should wait a little longer for their chance to fight for the belt.
"Why insist on some kind of mandatory fight that will hinder and prevent Fury from fighting Usyk? We have chosen a great path and we want to hold a unification fight for the absolute title of champion, and we are taking this position. We are not depriving any other fighter of the opportunity. They are moving up the career ladder and the WBC rankings, but for now, we are just waiting," said Suleiman.
Earlier, Fury made a radically new statement about the Usyk fight. Prior to that, insider Mike Coppinger said that promoters were optimistic about the chances of organizing a fight between the Ukrainian and the Briton.
In addition, Fury called Usyk a fraud after his victory over Dubois. The Gypsy King also mocked the Ukrainian, who "rolled around the ring" after being hit in the fifth round of the fight on August 26.
Tyson's promoter Frank Warren has announced the approximate dates of the Gypsy King's fight with Usyk. In turn, Usyk's coach Sergey Lapin ridiculed Tyson and his team.
As OBOZREVATEL previously reported, Tyson Fury's promoter Bob Arum made a sharp and categorical statement about his client's fight with Oleksandr Usyk. In his turn, former European Boxing Union (EBU) champion Spencer Oliver predicted the Ukrainian's defeat in the fight.