How to wash sneakers in the machine: the golden rules that will return the shoes look new
For a season now, white shoes, especially sneakers, are not going out of fashion. But in summer it is not so easy to take care of them to stay clean because of the dust that is literally everywhere. The washing machine comes to the rescue. But the washing of white (and not only) sneakers has a lot of nuances.
OBOZREVATEL asked how to properly wash sneakers in the machine. These rules will help keep shoes clean and extend their life.
For which sneakers do not fit machine washing
Before sending a pair of shoes into the drum, make sure that they can be washed in this way. For example, sneakers decorated with small decorations should not be machine washed. Even sewn on rhinestones or rivets can fly out during washing.
For a pair that has already been glued, it is also better to take care of by hand. After all, bad shoe glue will not withstand rotation in a drum and a lot of water.
Reflectors similarly do not tolerate machine washing. Therefore, shoes with such decorations should not be put in the machine. But if your sneakers are made of textile, have no decorative elements and are strong enough, you can safely clean them in this way.
10 steps to properly wash sneakers in the machine
- Prepare the pair for washing - wash the main dirt off the sole, so it doesn't clog the machine and get on other parts of the shoe during the wash.
- Stubborn stains on the soles are unlikely to be machine-washable, so it's a good idea to clean them in advance, too. To do this, you can use toothpaste, with which to wipe the rubber parts and soles. A mixture of soda and lemon juice or cosmetic micellar water will also work for cleaning.
- Before loading your sneakers in the washer, remove the insole, if possible, and be sure to remove the laces. They can get badly damaged in the wash, so it is better to wash them by hand.
- If the sneakers have electrical elements, such as backlighting, they should also be removed before washing. They definitely won't survive a machine wash.
- It is better to put sneakers in the drum of the machine, before placing them in a bag for washing shoes. It will protect the small parts of the shoe from damage. Especially if you wash 2 or 3 pairs at a time.
- Only sneakers of the same color can be washed together. The textiles used to make the shoes shed a lot and the color can get mixed.
- The best detergent for washing shoes is liquid. It will rinse out better. Poorly washed shoe detergent can leave yellow streaks and stains on the shoe.
- Sneakers are washed at a low temperature - between 30-35 degrees. These are the safest conditions for glue and for textiles.
- If the machine has a mode of washing sports shoes, you should use it. If not, choose a delicate program.
- The spin while washing shoes is better to turn off. It can deform and damage the sole of sneakers.
Earlier OBOZREVATEL told you how to return the laundry to the socks during washing.