Russia bombed a market in Syria: children among the dead and many wounded
On June 25, Russian forces b ombed rebel-held northwestern Syria, including a fruit and vegetable market in Jisr al-Shughour. At least 13 people were killed as a result, the highest number this year.
The victims include at least nine civilians (including two children), most of whom died inside the market. There are also about 30 wounded, ABC News reports (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the video).
"These Russian strikes have been the deadliest in Syria this year and amount to a massacre," said Rami Abdel Rahman, who heads the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Media reports say the Russian military, which supports Bashar al-Assad's regime, reacted this way to last week's rebel drone strikes.
An eyewitness to the bombing, 35-year-old worker Saad Fatoh, said he was unloading tomatoes and cucumbers at the time of the attack. "Russian shells started falling on us ... It was indescribable to see the dead and wounded," he said. The man rushed to help the victims. When he spoke to reporters, his hands were still covered in the blood of the wounded.
Ahmed Yazigi of Civil Defense in Jisr al-Shugur said the attack was a "direct attack on a popular market, which is the main source of income for farmers.
Preliminarily, six civilians were killed in the market and three insurgents were killed near the strike site. Three other civilians (including two minors) and one soldier were killed in the strike on the outskirts of Idlib city.
As OBOZREVATEL previously wrote, on the night of May 25-26 in Syria, the highest-ranking Russian officer since 2016 was eliminated. This is a Colonel of the GRU of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces Oleg Pechevisty. The war criminal was 49 years old.