Polski
русский
Українська

How to charge your iPhone to avoid killing the battery

Maria ShevchukNews
Proper charging can extend the life of your battery

In the modern world of social media, staying online has become not only interesting but also critical in times of war and terrorist attacks from Russia. It helps you stay up to date and keep in touch with your family. However, it also leads to a quick battery drain. To protect it from rapid depletion, you should always charge your smartphone properly.

OBOZREVATEL tells you how to charge your iPhone correctly to make its battery last as long as possible.

How to charge your iPhone correctly and safely

For optimal charging, you should always use original Apple chargers or those recommended by the company, not third-party ones even if they can charge your iPhone faster. After all, third-party chargers can have a negative impact on your battery's lifespan and reduce its maximum capacity.

It's also not a good idea to discharge the battery to 0% or keep it at 100%. Whenever possible, you should charge your iPhone when it's below 20%, and remove it from the charger when it reaches 95%.

Can I leave my iPhone charging overnight?

No matter what model of Apple smartphone you have, you can safely leave it charging overnight. The fact is that the iPhone has an intelligent charging function called "Charging Optimization". This function means that the smartphone analyzes how you use it and when you usually turn it on and off. For example, if you put your phone on overnight charging, it will charge up to 80% as usual, and the remaining 20% will be recharged closer to the time you usually wake up. Thus, despite the fact that the smartphone will be connected to the power source for 6 or 7 hours, it will use the same amount of time to charge the battery as it would during the day.

How to turn on charging optimization

However, the fact is that charging optimization may not be enabled by default in the settings. To enable this function, you need to go to Settings, then Battery section and Battery charge and health. There you need to enable the Charging Optimization feature.

In the same section, you can find out what condition the battery is in and whether it is providing peak performance. A new battery has a 100% maximum capacity, and if you have been actively using your iPhone for several years, this figure may drop to 85-80%. If the maximum capacity is insufficient for optimal smartphone performance, it will be indicated on the Battery Health and Charging page.

Should I charge my iPhone wirelessly?

Although wireless charging can heat up your smartphone, it does not cause any harm to it. However, it's important to use licensed devices as cheap wireless chargers can drain the battery and reduce its peak performance.

Fast iPhone charging

Apple has officially confirmed that some iPhone models support the fast charging function, which allows you to charge the battery up to 50% in just 30 minutes. However, this only applies to the iPhone 8 and later models.

Fast charging requires a proprietary USB-C Lightning cable and one of the following adapters:

  • an Apple USB-C power adapter with a power rating of 18, 20, 29, 30, 35, 61, 67, 87, 96, or 140 watts;
  • a third-party USB-C power adapter with similar characteristics that supports the USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) standard.

For fast charging iPhone 12 and newer models, a power adapter with at least 20W is recommended.

You can see the power of the adapter on its bottom or top side. Thus, you can even use a MacBook Pro charger to charge your iPhone.

Only verified information is available on Obozrevatel Telegram and Viber. Do not fall for fakes!

Other News

Even the cheapest rice won't stick together: a simple life hack

Even the cheapest rice won't stick together: a simple life hack

In what water to pour the cereal