"The position has not changed": China says it does not recognize Russia as an aggressor against Ukraine, although it supported the UN resolution
China does not consider the war in Ukraine an aggression on the part of Russia, although it had previously voted in favor of a UN resolution with the relevant wording. China's Permanent Mission to the United Nations said that Beijing's position on the Russian invasion has not changed.
This was stated in the diplomatic mission's response to e-mail requests, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported on May 4. The Chinese diplomats said in a statement that they voted for the entire text of the resolution, not specifically for the approval of the clause on Russian aggression.
It also stressed that the UN vote had "nothing to do" with a phone conversation between President Vladimir Zelensky and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
"China's position on the Ukrainian issue has not changed, and the voting position has nothing to do with the phone conversation between the two heads of state," said the permanent mission of China to the UN.
Recall that it is about China's vote in favor of the UN General Assembly resolution on April 26, which contains harsh language on the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
This move by Beijing drew attention because the resolution described Russia as the aggressor in the conflict - such wording was not used by the PRC. China has never condemned the invasion of Ukraine and has been criticized by the West for its position on the war.
As reported by OBOZREVATEL:
- On April 26, Vladimir Zelensky had his first phone conversation with the Chinese Head of state Xi Jinping since the Russian invasion began. Xi called dialogue the only way to resolve the conflict and promised to send a special representative of the government to Ukraine.
- The Russian Federation praised China for its "willingness to make efforts to establish a negotiation process."
- The United States welcomed the talks between Zelensky and Xi Jinping, but said it was too early to draw conclusions.
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg stressed that China never condemned Russia's aggression.
- The PRC continues to state that Russia's war against Ukraine should be stopped diplomatically. Beijing promises to negotiate with the international community to "resolve the crisis.
Only verified information from us in the Telegram channels Obozrevatel and Viber. Don't be fooled by fakes!