Simple bean soup with only four ingredients: it's prepared for the U.S. Congress members every day
For the past 120 years, Senate Bean Soup has been prepared for members of Congress every day. According to one version, Senator Fred DuBois of Idaho passed a committee resolution in the early twentieth century that required the bean soup to be prepared regularly. However, the extent to which this is a true story is still unknown. But the tradition of cooking this dish has survived to the present day.
The recipe for this legendary soup was published on the Businessinsider website. It also tells about another version of the tradition of making bean soup for the US Congress.
- white beans - 450 gr
- ham - 350 gr
- onion - 1 pc
- butter - 1 g
The way of cooking
1. Rinse beans, cover with water and put on fire together with chopped ham.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until the beans are tender.
3. When the beans are almost done, remove the ham from the soup and set aside.
4. Fry onion in butter and add to the soup.
5. Put the ham back.
6. Add salt and pepper and cook for a few more minutes.
There are also other interesting recipes on OBOZ.UA: