How to clean your laptop keyboard without damaging it: tips
The dirtiest part of a laptop is its keyboard, because it's what we touch with our hands all the time. But deep cleaning the keys is not so easy. Through the cracks under the buttons, liquid can get inside the gadget, which is dangerous.
However, if you do everything right, you can handle cleaning the keyboard. OBOZ.UA tells you about all the nuances.
What not to do
In order to clean a laptop keyboard safely, you first need to follow a few clear safety rules. Here are the most strict and unbreakable prohibitions:
- Do not clean the keyboard while the laptop is on or charging;
- Do not spray cleaning agents directly onto the keyboard;
- do not use abrasive or aggressive cleaning agents such as powder, bleach, or ammonia;
- Do not try to pry the keys off the keyboard - you may not be able to reinsert them to make them work.
Prepare your tools
To really deeply and thoroughly clean and sanitize your keyboard, you'll need the following tools and materials
- a handheld vacuum cleaner;
- a soft-bristled brush (e.g., an old, clean toothbrush)
- microfiber cloth;
- disinfectant or alcohol wipes;
- wooden toothpicks;
- cotton swabs;
- a can of compressed air.
Step-by-step cleaning instructions
Start by turning off the laptop and unplugging it from any power source. Next, turn the gadget over and gently shake it over a trash can. Turn the keyboard at different angles until dust and crumbs stop falling out of it.
Place the laptop on a table and use a soft brush to clean each key and key rows. Then shake the device again. Eventually, small pieces of debris should stop falling out.
Use a handheld vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment to pick up any remaining debris. Then take a can of compressed air and blow it over the keyboard. Turn it at different angles to get the best results. But do not insert the straw directly under the keys, as the compressed air pressure can damage the electronics. Afterwards, gently vacuum the keyboard again.
Use disinfectant wipes to degrease and disinfect your keyboard. Make sure to wring out the wipe well before using it - the disinfectant solution should not drip out of the wipe. Use a damp cloth to go over the keys and between them, wipe the entire surface around the keyboard. Make sure that the gadget does not get wet. Allow the cleaner to air dry before turning on the laptop or reconnecting it to the power source.
If you don't have any disinfectant wipes, simply take a microfiber cloth and apply a little isopropyl alcohol to it. But remember - the cloth should remain slightly damp, not wet.
How to keep your laptop keyboard clean longer
Here are a few tips to keep your gadget clean for longer:
- wash your hands frequently with soap and water to keep bacteria from getting on the surface;
- do not use the keyboard immediately after applying hand cream or lotion - let the product soak in;
- try not to eat while using your laptop, and keep drinks away from it as much as you can;
- if necessary, cover the keyboard with a thin silicone cover, which will be especially useful if the gadget is used by children - in this case, you will only have to clean the cover itself, which can be easily removed.