Fashion battle: how Margot Robbie, Demi Moore, Kate Middleton and others are setting the trend for tweed and why this fabric makes any look more expensive
It seems that tweed products are going to become the number one trend again this spring. At least suits, jackets and skirts made of this fabric have recently been actively preferred by the world's most important fashionistas, including Margot Robbie, Demi Moore, Kate Middleton, Princess Eugenie and others.
OBOZ.UA decided to compare which of the famous beauties looks best in tweed. We will also analyze why this fabric can make any look more sophisticated and expensive.
The lead actress in the 2023 movie hit Barbie is constantly setting trends in clothing, makeup, and hairstyles. Barbie-core aesthetics literally flooded the fashion world with the release of the movie about the iconic blonde doll. But if we are talking about tweed, then Margot Robbie has been its ambassador (literally) since 2018. It was then that the Chanel fashion house announced the actress as its "ambassador" to promote the brand. Since then, the star could often be seen wearing tweed suits, jackets or dresses, because, as you know, it was Coco Chanel who once made tweed popular and trendy.
On February 12, the American Film Academy gathered all of this year's Oscar nominees for a traditional dinner in Beverly Hills. Margot Robbie also attended in a light pink tweed suit by Chanel. It consisted of a short top, an unusual style mini skirt, a cropped jacket and a handbag made of the same fabric. The actress really looked like a doll, but there was no inappropriate infantilism: she looked expensive and sophisticated.
Unlike her predecessor, Kate Middleton is not an official Chanel ambassador, but she has a lot of tweed items in her wardrobe. The Princess of Wales is especially fond of tweed jackets. She prefers bright and deep shades, gold buttons and fitted silhouettes typical for such items.
Quite often, the wife of the main heir to the British throne chooses inexpensive mass-market brands, but this does not prevent her from looking luxurious in tweed.
We should also mention Prince Harry's wife here. Meghan Markle rarely appears in public nowadays, but she also had a "tweed episode" in her life in the past. Short, collarless jackets made of this dense fabric remain quite popular today.
Another member of the British royal family inspires us to wear tweed this year. Princess Eugenie impressed with her restrained and stylish look when she appeared in a black and white tweed jacket with red threads that pierced the geometric pattern in November 2023.
The iconic actress chose a very similar color scheme to Princess Eugenie when she wore a Carolina Herrera tweed suit to the same brand's show in New York on February 12. Demi Moore opted for a checkered mini-dress, which she complemented with a spectacular cape, a clutch with the same print, pointy beige mules and sunglasses.
The style, color tandem and overall "old money" aesthetic, according to many fashion experts, are very suitable for Demi Moore and all women with her type of appearance.
What to combine tweed with: tips and ideas
Tweed is a versatile material that can be used to create a variety of looks.
- For young girls, it is better to avoid tweed suits with a collarless jacket as they can add extra solidity.
- It is better to combine traditional tweed in restrained natural colors with blouses and shirts in pastel shades, avoiding white.
- A dress made of tweed perfectly emphasizes the figure, but in a warm room it can be hot, so take this into account.
- Alternatively, you can use a sundress with a T-shirt or blouse.
- A tweed jacket is a great accent for any look.
- It goes well with pants or a skirt made of any thick fabric, even denim.
- Add a cashmere or silk scarf to the look to make it more elegant.
- A tweed cap in the same color scheme can become an accent in an outfit with a tweed jacket or suit.
- Today tweed is actively used for the production of bags, suitcases, backpacks, briefcases and even shoes.
- These accessories can be a great addition to any look.
Here are some additional ideas for styling tweed:
- A tweed jacket can be combined with jeans and a T-shirt to create an informal look.
- A tweed skirt can be combined with a blouse and jacket to create a business look.
- A tweed dress can be combined with ankle boots or high-heeled shoes to create an evening look.