Alcohol poisoning: help and treatment
Alcohol poisoning can be especially dangerous in winter due to the low temperatures. Drinking alcohol can impair your tolerance to cold and lead to hypothermia. Be careful when drinking alcohol outside in the cold season and monitor your condition.
Alcohol poisoning is classified into three degrees of severity.
- Mild intoxication
- Mild impaired coordination of movements
- Vascular dilation, elevated mood
- Confused thoughts
- Significant intoxication
- Possible vomiting and dizziness
- Serious impairment of coordination and speech
- Severe impairment of coordination and speech
- Deep intoxication, sometimes to the point of unconsciousness
- Serious breathing and heart rate problems may occur
- High risk of death from respiratory failure or heart failure
Treatment of alcohol poisoning
Treatment foralcohol po isoning depends on the severity of the condition. The first step is to stop drinking additional alcohol. This will help prevent further accumulation of the toxin in the body. In case of severe alcohol poisoning, you should call an ambulance. Medical personnel will assess the patient's condition and take the necessary measures.
Ensuring breathing and blood circulation
- If you have symptoms that indicate severe poisoning (e.g., fainting, difficulty breathing), it is important to call an ambulance.
- Provide access to fresh air to ensure normal breathing.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Artificial respiration.
- The hospital may use specific treatments, the introduction of antidotes to block the metabolism of alcohol and prevent further toxic effects.
- Active removal of alcohol from the body is performed, for example, using gastric lavage or hemodialysis.
- Patients may require fluid infusions to prevent dehydration.
- Correction of electrolyte balance and maintenance of normal blood pressure.
Treatment of alcohol poisoning is an urgent measure, and a delay in seeking medical care can lead to serious consequences, including death. After active treatment, it is important to continue medical observation to prevent possible complications and ensure the stabilization of the patient's condition.
Dangers of methanol
It istoxic to humans even in small doses. It can cause serious problems with the central nervous system, vision, and even death. After methanol is consumed, it is metabolized in the body to formaldehyde and then to urea. These metabolic products are toxic and can cause damage to various organs. Due to its similarity to ethanol, methyl alcohol can be mistaken for regular ethyl alcohol (ethanol) contained in alcoholic beverages. However, unlike ethanol, methyl alcohol is poisonous.
Symptoms and treatment of methyl alcohol poisoning
- Photophobia or hypersensitivity of the eyes to light.
- Nausea and vomiting due to the toxic effects of methanol.
- Sleep disturbances and/or insomnia may be among the symptoms.
- Loss of consciousness, up to coma in cases of severe poisoning.
- Headache is more intense than when drinking ethanol.
- In some cases, seizures and convulsions may occur.
- Visual disturbances, including double vision, blurred vision, or even loss of vision.
- Dizziness and weakness, feeling unsteady, loss of balance.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath can be a sign of severe poisoning.
Treatment of methyl alcohol (methanol) poisoning requires urgent medical attention. This is a serious condition that can be life-threatening, and self-medication is unacceptable.
- Call an ambulance immediately. This is very important because treatment should begin as soon as possible.
- In the early stages of poisoning, gastric lavage may be performed to remove unadsorbed methanol from the stomach.
- In severe cases of poisoning, when breathing is impaired, artificial lung ventilation may be required.
- Antidotes, such as ethanol or fomepizole, are used to block the metabolism of methanol. They prevent the formation of toxic metabolites and promote the elimination of methanol from the body.
- Maintaining normal blood pressure and heart rate is an important part of treatment.
- If methanol poisoning has resulted in blurred vision or other eye problems, specialized treatment may be needed.
- Fluid infusions to prevent dehydration and correct electrolyte balance.
It should be noted that treatment of methanol poisoning requires qualified medical care, and patients with suspected methanol poisoning should seek medical attention as soon as possible.