Why pickled tomatoes become cloudy in jars and explode: causes and solutions to the problem
Perfectly pickled tomatoes in jars are firm, juicy, and do not crack. It often happens that even if you follow the recipe and all the recommendations, the tomatoes either become cloudy in the jar or explode.
The FoodOboz editorial team has gathered the information for you and will tell you why tomatoes become cloudy and explode, as well as what to do in such a situation.
Among the reasons why tomatoes become cloudy and explode are the following:
1. Use of damaged and spoiled fruits.
2. Careless preparation of all ingredients and neglect of washing them.
3. Neglect of sterilization and drying of containers.
4. Poorly rolled up jars with lids, which could allow air to enter and cause fermentation.
5. Failure to observe the proportions of salt or vinegar.
What should you do if the pickled tomatoes become cloudy or explode?
So, tomatoes with cloudy brine should only be eaten if you have no taste suspicions about the quality and the vegetable itself tastes like salted ones. Otherwise, throw away the jar with its contents.
If the tomato jar explodes, the preservation process must be repeated. The technology is as follows:
1. First, you need to get the tomatoes and wash them in saline (1 tbsp of salt per 1 liter of water).
2. The brine from the jar must either be boiled over, or it is better to prepare a new one.
3. Sterilize the jars and lids.
4. Cook the tomatoes according to the recipe.
Earlier, OBOZREVATEL reported what absolutely must not be done during canning.