Can you give your dog ice cream: what are the health risks
Experts advise you to think twice before treating your pet to ice cream. Dogs are happy to enjoy cool sweets in the summer heat, and a seemingly small portion cannot do any harm to the animal.
However, it's best to refrain from feeding your dog ice cream, at least if you care about the health and well-being of your dog. The Love Your Dog publication has explained the dangers of ice cream.
Why ice cream is bad for dogs
Sugar and fats contained in ice cream are not good for animals. It's not just about extra calories and the risk of obesity. Ice cream can cause problems with the gastrointestinal tract and various diseases, such as pancreatitis.
Are there any benefits to feeding your dog ice cream
There are no health benefits to ice cream. There are better sources of healthy fats. Ice cream has no nutrients for dogs at all.
Often, owners give their animals something cool to save them from the summer heat. Ice cream is not the best way to do this. You can try giving them ice cubes or freezing their toys or treats.
What health problems does ice cream cause?
Being overweight puts extra stress on your dog's joints and can lead to diabetes and heart disease.
All dogs have some degree of lactose intolerance. Many animals develop vomiting, diarrhoea or flatulence after eating dairy products.
The pancreas produces and secretes enzymes that aid digestion. Fatty foods can cause inflammation of the pancreas, which leads to severe abdominal pain, vomiting, and loss of appetite. Pancreatitis is usually diagnosed with a blood test.
Chocolate ice cream is especially dangerous for dogs. Chocolate contains the compound theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate has a lot of theobromine in it, so even a small amount can cause severe poisoning.
What to do if your dog eats ice cream
If your dog has eaten a little ice cream that does not contain ingredients that are toxic to animals, it is likely that he will not experience any serious consequences. Watch your pet's health carefully. If vomiting or diarrhoea occurs, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Earlier, OBOZREVATEL told which delicacies are dangerous for dogs, because even a small piece can be fatal.