русский
Українська

Can you drink a beverage if a bug falls into it: the answer will surprise you

Yulia PoteriankoLife
Insects often feed on waste that is literally teeming with dangerous bacteria

Everyone has likely experienced that moment when you pour a glass of your favorite chilled wine, and suddenly, a fruit fly decides to join the party. Now, you're left with a dilemma: do you toss the fly and enjoy your drink, or do you pour it out, considering that fruit flies tend to feast on less-than-appetizing places like garbage cans?

Science Alert consulted experts to get a scientific perspective on this predicament. They broke it down for us.

Fruit flies, scientifically known as Drosophila, do indeed feed on decomposing food, often found in garbage cans, compost pits, drains, and ditches. These places are rife with microbes, including potential pathogens, which can end up on the fly's body.

Among the most concerning microorganisms found on insects are E. coli, Shigella, and Salmonella. While it may sound alarming, scientists advise against hastily dumping the wine, even after a fruit fly encounter.

The wine typically contains 8 to 14 percent ethanol and has a pH of about 4 or 5. A pH below 7 gives the drink a sour taste. These conditions are sufficient to inhibit microbial growth, allowing wine to be stored for extended periods.

Lab studies have shown that the combination of wine alcohol and organic acids, such as malic acid, can hinder the growth of E. coli and Salmonella. This means a fruit fly would need to bring in a substantial amount of germs to render the drink unsafe, which is a rare occurrence.

Moreover, if the wine with the fly is chilled, low temperatures also impede microbial growth. Considering the natural antibacterial properties of various wines, the drink is likely to remain safe.

Another point in favor of keeping the wine is that even if some microorganisms survive, they are unlikely to withstand the harsh conditions in the human stomach. Gastric juice, containing hydrochloric acid, is hostile to bacteria. Microbes introduced by flies into wine don't stand much of a chance in the stomach, facing barriers like digestive enzymes, mucus, and various immune system mechanisms.

In summary, experts advise against worrying about flies in wine. They even humorously suggest that those concerned about protein deficiency might consider drinking wine with an insect. The tiny Drosophila is unlikely to affect the drink's taste but will be digested and absorbed like any other protein product.

In a previous article, OBOZREVATEL shared tips on how to get rid of flies and mosquitoes in your home using household items.

Subscribe to OBOZREVATEL's Telegram and Viber channels to keep up with the latest developments.

Other News

Are you a kind or cynical person? A simple optical illusion will show you

Are you a kind or cynical person? A simple optical illusion will show you

Without hesitation, tell us where the cat is going in the picture
Chocolate cream for cakes

Versatile chocolate cream for cakes: can be used after just 20 minutes

Traditional ingredients can be turned into a real masterpiece