What happens if you eat foods with mould: consequences
If there is very little mold on the product, we often just do not pay attention to it, because a small lesion does not affect the taste of food at all. Or you can simply miss out on the spoiled area and eat the product together with it. However, we have to figure out whether it is safe to eat something with mould.
The editors of FoodOboz will tell you what are the consequences of the consumption of products with mold. They are quite serious.
How does mould get in the food?
Mould spores are always in the air around us, both indoors and outdoors. They are tiny particles that can travel through the air and settle on surfaces, including food. When conditions are favorable, such as an area wiht high humidity or high temperature, they can start to grow fast.
Also, foods can become covered in mould if you don't wash or store them properly.
What happens if you eat foods with mould
Like any allergy, the specific symptoms and severity of an allergic reaction can vary from person to person. It will all depend on the individual's sensitivity, the type and amount of mold ingested, and the person's overall health. However, symptoms are usually uncontrollable itching that turns into hives, compulsive sneezing or difficult breathing.
This is due to harmful toxins contained in mould that grows on food. Common symptoms of food poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, dizziness and in some cases fever.
If you have eaten a lot of mouldy food, you may get a headache. Typically, this pain is the result of inhaling mold for an extended period of time.
Also, if you are allergic to a certain type of mould that you have consumed with food, the headache may be a reaction to mycotoxins. In this case, the headache tends to be worse and may look more like a migraine.
If you suddenly feel exhausted after eating something with mold, it may be related. Fatigue is caused by harmful myotoxins.
Eating food with mould can potentially lead to breathing problems in some people. This is more likely if the mould produces spores or mycotoxins that irritate the respiratory system. Mould spores can be released into the air from mouldy food. If these spores are inhaled while eating, they can irritate the respiratory system.
If you cut mouldly pieces of food, will it be safe to eat it?
If the area with mould is insignificant, very often it is simply cut off. But if mould is already present, it means that the entire product is affected. Even if there are no visible signs, the food is still spoiled.
Previously OBOZREVATEL reported what products should not be combined in one dish.