Real Coloma potato dumplings: how to cook them properly so they don't fall apart
Dumplings are a traditional Ukrainian dish. The products, which look like small cutlets made of potato dough, are boiled and served with sour cream and a tasty roast. To prevent them from falling apart and holding their shape, a simple mixture should be added to the boiling water.
The idea for making Coloma dumplings is posted on food blogger Alex Mil(mil_alexx)'s Instagram page. Before you put the dumplings in the water - add the diluted starch to the water.
- 400 g raw potatoes
- 400 grams of jacket boiled potatoes
- 4 tsp. starch
- 1 egg
- salt, pepper
Ingredients for the roast:
- 90 g bacon or bacon
- 130 g of onions
- smoked paprika
- 100g cold water + 2 tsp. starch
Method of preparation:
1. In a large bowl grate the raw potatoes on a fine grater.
Squeeze and drain off the excess liquid.
3. Grate peeled, jacketed boiled potatoes in there as well.
4. Add the egg, starch, salt, and pepper.
5. Form the dumplings.
6. Heat the water until it comes to a boil.
7. Mix 2 tsp. of starch with cold water and pour into the boiling water. Only then throw in the dumplings. This way they will not fall apart.
8. When all the dumplings have risen, cook them for 3 to 4 minutes more over medium heat. Remove with a slotted skimmer.
9. For the roast, chop the lard. Fry for 3-4 minutes, add onion, and smoked paprika, and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
10. On a plate put dumplings, on them cracklings, and sour cream.
Also on OBOZREVATEL, you can read the recipes: