How to clean mackerel easily: useful life hacks
Mackerel is not only a fairly budget-friendly fish but also a very healthy fish that contains a lot of fats that are essential for the heart. This fish does not need to be cleaned of scales as it is very tiny and the skin is thin.
The FoodOboz.ua editorial team offers you a simple, and most importantly, effective life hack for cleaning mackerel, which will make the process of cooking this fish much easier and faster. To clean mackerel, you will need a fillet knife. If you don't have the right tool at hand, you can easily use a regular knife.
Method of cleaning mackerel
1. If the fish is to be cooked with the head, cut the mackerel's throat from one gill to the other. If the head is not needed for cooking, you can simply cut it off.
2. Find the fish's sphincter and insert a knife deep enough into it. It is located on the belly of the fish, just above the tail.
3. Make an incision in the fish starting from the sphincter towards the head.
4. Stick your fingers into the cut and take out all the insides of the fish, then rinse the abdominal cavity of the mackerel thoroughly under cold running water.
And finally, one more useful life hack: to prevent the transfer of an unpleasant fish odor to your hands, you should use latex gloves. With them, the process of cleaning fish will not only be more enjoyable but also provide a better grip, making cleaning even faster.
Earlier, OBOZ.UA has already published useful life hacks:
- What to use to make batter for fluffy and tall pancakes
- How to quickly cut salmon
- How to peel a tangerine in 2 seconds