You should get rid of them. The 10 most toxic flowers and plants for pets
Receiving flowers as a gift or decorating window sills with them is a pleasant activity, but if you have a four-legged furry friend living with you, you should be more careful with this. Some plants can be toxic to cats and dogs. If your pet inadvertently eats one, get ready to go to the veterinary clinic.
After eating toxic flowers, animals can experience abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, tremors, and arrhythmias, and sometimes even death. In order not to endanger your pet, it is better to get rid of the following plants, writes HuffPost.
This flower is the most dangerous for the life of cats. Eating it can cause acute poisoning and irregular heartbeat. Moreover, cats do not have to eat lilies to get health problems - sometimes it is enough to just lick the pollen. Dogs can also develop vomiting, diarrhoea, and abdominal pain. If the inevitable does happen, it is important to provide assistance to animals in the first 18 hours. After that, their condition will deteriorate to critical.
2. Ricinus communis
This plant is also very dangerous for humans. However, if a cat or dog swallows poisonous castor oil seeds, it is at risk of liver and kidney failure and death. Signs of castor oil poisoning may include: loss of appetite, excessive thirst, weakness, colic, trembling, sweating, loss of coordination, difficulty breathing, progressive central nervous system depression, and fever.
Eating any part of this flowering plant is toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, arrhythmia and even cardiac arrest in both cats and dogs.
If an animal swallows a part of this garden plant, it can develop heart failure. This is because of the chemicals in foxglove that affect the hearts of dogs and cats.
5-7. Tulips, daffodils and hyacinths
If your pet eats the top of a tulip, daffodil or hyacinth, it will only suffer a mild stomach upset. However, the bulbs of these flowers are extremely toxic and therefore dangerous. If ingested, they can cause changes in heart rate, rhythm and blood pressure in animals.
8. Sago palm
Curious pets are likely to take notice of the feathery leaves of this ornamental plant and want to taste them. The consequences can be fatal: liver failure, severe stomach upset and even death.
If a cat or dog swallows a large amount of this flower, it may not only be poisoned, but also suffer from heart rate and rhythm disturbances, as well as neurological changes.
It is a very common house plant whose bright colours can attract the attention of animals, especially small kittens and puppies. As a result, an animal that tastes a toxic flower can get an upset stomach. And Kalanchoe in large quantities is a threat to the pet's heart.
Earlier, OBOZREVATEL wrote about five houseplants with a powerful calming effect. In addition to their aesthetic function, they also have a positive effect on people's mental health.
Only verified information is available in our Obozrevatel Telegram channel and Viber. Do not fall for fakes!