Varenukha: what it is and how to cook the ancient Ukrainian alcoholic beverage
Varenukha is a tasty alcoholic beverage, widespread in Left-bank Ukraine since the 16th century. The main ingredients of the drink were: vodka or moonshine, honey, apples, pears, plums, cherries, and spices. This drink can also be made without alcohol, adding herbs and spices.
FoodOboz editorial staff shares a recipe for jam, which was published on Facebook on the page "Mandry Krajnoju with Lilia Ruban".
- honey - 1-2 tbsp.
- dried fruits - apples, plums, pears - a handful
- fresh ginger
- allspice, cardamom, cloves
Method of preparation:
1. In a clay pot put dried fruit, add honey, spices, and chopped ginger. Pour the vodka.
2. cut the lid out of the bread for the pot. Make the dough as for bread, seal the edges of the pot, closing the dough and the lid.
3. Put in the oven and cook the drink for about 2 days. The drink should infuse well!
You can also find recipes on OBOZREVATEL: