Ukraine is preparing large-scale sanctions against Iran for 50 years: what is known
The Ukrainian government is submitting a proposal to the National Security and Defence Council (NSDC) to impose sectoral sanctions on Iran for 50 years at a time. The restrictions are to be imposed because of arms supplies to Russia.
This was reported by the Ministry of Economy. It is noted that the previous targeted sanctions against Iranian individuals and companies directly involved in the supply of weapons to Russia did not have the desired effect.
"Well, we will strengthen our arguments. We will also work to ensure that as many countries as possible join in such tough decisions," said Economy Minister Yulia Svyrydenko, who heads the interagency group to develop the sanctions.
According to her, sanctions should be imposed for a period of 50 years. The package is proposed to include the following restrictions:
- prevention of the withdrawal of capital by Iranian residents from Ukraine;
- a ban on the transfer of technology and intellectual property rights to Iranian residents;
- a ban on investments in Iran and in favour of Iranian residents;
- suspension of servicing of electronic payment instruments (including transfers, payments and cash withdrawals) issued by Iranian residents;
- prohibition of registration by the National Bank of Ukraine of an international payment system or a participant in an international payment system operated by Iranian residents;
- a complete ban on trade in military and dual-use goods with Iranian residents, as well as restrictions on trade in services related to the supply, sale, transfer, production or use of such goods;
- a complete cessation of transit of resources, flights and transportation by Iranian residents through the territory of Ukraine related to the above transactions.
The sanctions proposed by the government will come into force after approval by the National Security and Defence Council. In addition, the decree must be enacted by the President of Ukraine and confirmed by the Verkhovna Rada.
As reported by OBOZREVATEL, over the past six months, Iran has transferred more than 300,000 artillery shells and one million rounds of ammunition to Russia for the Russian army. They were transported by cargo ships across the Caspian Sea.
Only verified information is available in our Obozrevatel Telegram channel and Viber. Do not fall for fakes!