How to cook broth properly to make it transparent: main secrets
Broth is one of the most popular first courses in the world. It is loved by both adults and children. At first glance, it may seem that making broth is quite simple: boil meat and vegetables and serve it. But in fact, cooking broth can be called an art. And the taste and clarity of this dish will depend on the efforts of the hostess.
Recently, Akademia smaku published an article dedicated to broth. It describes all the intricacies of cooking broth and the secrets that will make the dish transparent.
Many people believe that the flavor of the broth and the time it takes to cook it depends only on the choice of meat. They say that poultry meat will give off its flavor faster than, for example, beef. But in fact, the broth should be cooked for 2.5-3 hours, regardless of the meat you choose.
The situation is similar with vegetable broths. Yes, indeed, they need to be cooked much less than meat broths. However, the time to prepare vegetable broth should still not be less than 90 minutes.
The second important aspect of cooking broth is the lid. Experienced cooks use the lid only at the beginning of cooking until the water boils. The rest of the time the broth should be cooked without a lid. This way, it won't become cloudy. So how do you make broth really tasty and clear? Here are some tips
- Never use frozen meat or meat that has been thawed in the microwave. It is best to use fresh meat or meat that has been thawed on its own for several hours.
- Start cooking the broth in cold water.
- At the initial stage, you need to constantly remove the foam.
- Cook the broth for a long time and over very low heat.
- Never stir the broth.
- If there is too little water in the pot, add boiling water, not cold water.