How to sneeze properly and whether it is necessary to apologize: rules of etiquette for the period of colds
Due to the sudden change in temperature and worsening weather, more and more people are getting sick. The most common symptoms are sneezing, runny nose, cough, headache, weakness, and sore throat.
Since childhood, we have been taught that we should show respect and apologize after sneezing. But OBOZ.UA found out why you shouldn't do this.
Sneezing is a reflex for which there is no need to apologize. As a rule, bodily noises should not be commented on either by the person or by other people.
You should apologize if your sneeze has hurt someone. Follow the rules to avoid this:
- Always carry a handkerchief with you;
- Sneeze into a handkerchief or into your bent hand;
- When wiping your nose, turn away or go to the restroom or a short distance away;
- Do not use a handkerchief at the table;
- Use paper napkins that can be thrown away immediately;
- Do not shake hands or hug another person when you are sick.
It is also a big mistake to wish someone well when they sneeze. This is a hidden hint of the other person's weakness. It makes it clear that they are not well.
Earlier, OBOZ.UA published an explanation by etiquette experts of why women should not apologize.